Read more: guinea fowl,how to cook,venison,wild bird stew,red wine sauce,fried bream,grilled bream,okavango bream,okavango,botswana,botswana cooking,african cooking,african food,african cuisine,african dishes,pork ribs,how to cook pork,how to cook ribs,how to cook pork ribs,how to cook guinea fowl,how to cook perfect,perfect,tender,spatchcock,spatched,braaied,braai,barbeque,barbecu,barbecued,barbequed,prawns,peri peri prawns,peri peri chicken,mozambique food,mozambique cuisine,air gun hunting,air rifle hunting,gutting Health Food | African Style Cuisine

Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Health Food

I know my family, and especially my wife, is going to laughh at this post and the new category "Health Food" because we have a bit of a joke going on in our family, many years old. By the way, "Health food" as I have titled it, in my eyes represents the following: Crunchy stuff, hard nutty stuff, dry dusty bran, hard as stones dry raisins, tasteless soya stuff, plain boring meals stuffed full of strong spices and herbs to try and liven them up, no sauces, tons of brown or gritty looking rice etc etc ad nauseum!

You will no doubt conclude that I have had very very bad experiences with "health food" over the years.
But...BUT.. This must change. I am going to have to have a total re-think at this whole health food thing. A check up at the doctor two weeks back revealed that I have high blood presure and I need to do something about it.
So my mornings now start off panting and gasping and stumbling around in the half dark over my wifes skipping rope whilst trying to dream up tasty healthy meals which don't break my gastronomic spirit!

I have a few conflicts though. My cooking lore dictates that flavours are trapped and carried by fats. I also am an old fashioned cook that bases meals around meat and then add side dishes to balance the predominant flavour.
So... I am determined not to slide of into that demoralizing foggy area of tastless food bland veggies and no fats. Rather I will work hard to design meals that still contain meat, fish and poultry, but that are healthier (cholesterol wise) yet are still flavorsome and satisfying. Smaller meat portions will replace large and compensate for some of the less healthy components like a bit of butter, skins left on poultry, a nicely marbled beefsteak from time to time as well as pork, lamb and offal.
So expect some changes ahead! By the way I have learnt a lot from a fellow foodie blogger Adura, who like me is African (she black African and me White) and who blogs very practically about health, beauty and fitness as well as food. Her blog is here . Another, is a very gifted person, also an African, living out of Africa who prepares fantastic franco/african food with a Cameroonian theme. She is here..LAM BASSA'A

African people, especially those living in rural areas in Southern Africa are ten times more healthy than Westerners. You will note for example in Lambassa'a just how much natural ingredients she uses. Although living in London (or thereabouts I think!!) she sticks with what she knows.That is most likely how she was taught and brought up. Most African people here eat a lot of cereals, beans, root vegetable and fish. Meat is pretty much a luxury apart from fish and shellfish in some regions.

Anyway, look forward to some great but healthy food still with an African style in the blogs ahead.

18 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you that Westerners have a heavier, meat based diet than African people have.
    I love African cuisine style with all those nutricious cereals and root vegetables. I find it very tasty too and certainly healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the links. The food looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your healthy food quest. I'm terrible for falling off the "healthy" bandwagon, but whenever I go back to eating more vegies and less heavy processed foods, I always am surprised that I'd forgotten that you can prepare things so they actually taste good :) I look forward to hearing about some healthy African style food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like yours
    would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% sure. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

    My webpage; games online

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somebody essentially lend a hand to make significantly posts I might state.
    That is the very first time I frequented your web page and up to
    now? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this actual post incredible.
    Fantastic task!

    Feel free to visit my weblog ... start online business
    my site: make money online ebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this
    website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. appreciate it

    my web page; http://clashofclans.ca/wiki/index.php?title=User:VirgilRen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you're using? I'm going to start my
    own blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique.
    P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!


    Also visit my web site :: to quit smoking
    my page > acupuncture stop smoking

    ReplyDelete
  8. My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But
    he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on several websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
    I have heard very good things about blogengine.net.

    Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into
    it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

    My web-site :: supplements and vitamins
    my web page: coq10 supplements

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following.

    unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as
    exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.


    my web-site ... traffic towards website

    ReplyDelete
  10. Howdy! This blog post couldn't be written any better! Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept talking about this. I most certainly will send this information to him. Pretty sure he'll have a great read.
    I appreciate you for sharing!

    Also visit my blog post :: theblackcubegroup.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook
    group. Chat soon!

    Have a look at my web site: www.tanzaniabundusafaris.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does your website have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to shoot
    you an e-mail. I've got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

    my web page: Modcloth coupon

    ReplyDelete
  13. My brother suggested I might like this website.
    He used to be totally right. This put up truly made my
    day. You can not consider just how much time I had spent
    for this information! Thank you!

    Here is my weblog - diets that work for women

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on wholesale clothing.
    Regards

    Here is my web blog; onodelux.sakura.ne.jp

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your site. You have some really great articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some content for your blog
    in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested.
    Thank you!

    My web page; click the next post

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's an awesome post designed for all the internet people; they will take advantage from it I am sure.

    My weblog - best registry cleaner for windows 7

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for another wonderful post. Where else may anyone get that kind of information in
    such an ideal method of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the search for such information.


    Here is my weblog :: Green coffee diets

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to be recommended this web site by means of my cousin.
    I'm now not positive whether this publish is written by him as nobody else realize such exact approximately my difficulty. You're incredible!
    Thanks!

    Also visit my website :: Androsolve Review **

    ReplyDelete