Read more: guinea fowl,how to cook,venison,wild bird stew,red wine sauce,fried bream,grilled bream,okavango bream,okavango,botswana,botswana cooking,african cooking,african food,african cuisine,african dishes,pork ribs,how to cook pork,how to cook ribs,how to cook pork ribs,how to cook guinea fowl,how to cook perfect,perfect,tender,spatchcock,spatched,braaied,braai,barbeque,barbecu,barbecued,barbequed,prawns,peri peri prawns,peri peri chicken,mozambique food,mozambique cuisine,air gun hunting,air rifle hunting,gutting Pork Hock Ragoût with Cabbage | African Style Cuisine

Saturday, 28 July 2012

Pork Hock Ragoût with Cabbage

This is a favorite cut of pork for me. It is also one of the cheapest and tastiest pork cuts. The bone and gristle and skin break down during slow cooking to make a rich succulent broth. I call it a  Ragoût because I had some Fench  influence when I was researching it. It also meets my "Health Food" requirements because the Skin and fat is skimmed off before serving, leaving very little fat.
Here you see it half way through cooking...
And here it is for the final 30 minute after removing the fat and adding the cabbage and baby peas...
Ingredients:

1 large pork hock or 2 or three pigs trotters (with hoofy bits removed please!)
1 large carrot peeled and cut into rounds.
2 medium onions chopped coarsely
1 cup fresh or frozen baby peas.
3 cups chopped cabbage.
6 or 7 fresh green curry leaves. (this is a bit of a secret ingredient for a unique flavour and is rather special, however 7 or 8 bay leaves can be used instead)
5 garlic segments chopped
1 heaped tablespoon fresh grated ginger.
1 chopped green chilly. I would use 3 but my wife does not like spicy food.
1 glass sweet or semi sweet wine.
Method:

It very simple really and is a dish that can be left to "Get On With Itself"
Cook the onions in a little oil until lightly browned. Add the Hock, the carrots, and cover with water and the glass of sweet wine. Sprinkle the herbs and garlic on top and arrange the curry leaves so that they are easy to remove during cooking. Now bring to simmer for 3 hours. Let the liquid reduce as much as possible without burning the meat. Half way through remove the curry leaves or leave in longer according to taste. Halfway though is about right though. Let it cool slightly and then break up all the meat. Remove the bones and skin and any floating fat. Leave a few globules floating though because a lot of the aromatic oils found in the herbs are trapped in the fat. Add the chopped cabbage and baby peas and bring back to simmer for a further 30 to 40 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Carefully turn the vegetables into the meat broth during this final cooking. Season to taste and serve.
I served this last week as a savory relish with Firm Polenta. We call it Sadza or Nshima in our region.

19 comments:

  1. Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so
    I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for rookie blog writers? I'd really appreciate it.


    my web page: airplanes games

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciating the hard work you put into your blog and in depth information you provide.

    It's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same unwanted rehashed
    material. Excellent read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to
    my Google account.

    My weblog diets that really work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.

    My web-site resting metabolic rate calculator

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever thought about creating an e-book or guest authoring
    on other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same topics you discuss and would love to have
    you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would
    appreciate your work. If you are even remotely
    interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.


    Feel free to surf to my website: click here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    Take a look at my web page :: click here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine way of telling, and nice post to obtain data concerning my presentation subject matter, which i
    am going to convey in college.

    Feel free to visit my website Ripped Muscle Xtreme

    ReplyDelete
  7. My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought
    I may as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just
    following you. Look forward to looking at your web page yet again.


    My website - Pure garcinia cambogia reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. We stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to exploring your web page again.

    Also visit my website: Order Pure GCE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahaa, its nice conversation on the topic of this paragraph here at this webpage, I have read all
    that, so at this time me also commenting here.


    http://www.ldtables.org/wiki/User:EnidLouis

    Look into my webpage Buy Pure GCE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there, I discovered your site by way of Google even
    as looking for a related matter, your site came up, it appears to be like good.
    I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    Hi there, simply become alert to your blog via Google, and located that it's truly informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels. I'll be grateful when you continue this in
    future. Numerous people shall be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    my website: garcinia cambogia where to buy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It worқs in a way that doesn't leave ƴoս ѡith ɑ hunger pain.
    Hoԝever, regular exercise аոd proper balanced diet аlso plays an
    eminent role. Check ߋut articles and reviews οn all natural diet pills.


    Мy blog post ... ผิวขาว

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a
    sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She
    placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was
    a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!


    Feel free to surf to my web page: myers briggs intp personality
    ()

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for mars volta

    my website :: adiphene review

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesujące wpisy, dobra tematyka

    Here is my site :: call center online zakładanie call center rozwój call center

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dungeon Siege III (RPG): Releasing on May 31,
    2011 for the PS3, XBOX 360 and PC. If you're looking
    for a quick option to have gold and platinum, then this willhelp you.
    Zynga has now created its own website so that people playing Farm - Ville through Facebook will jump over to their site and then be
    able to get better things than they can get playing
    the other version.

    my homepage :: arcane legends hack

    ReplyDelete
  16. tight to be virtually a specific abstraction. This testament prevent the abstraction that
    you gave them imitation subject matter, your visitors are involved in your emails.
    It is also to interact online. expect around perusal overseas.
    expression at this audience as exciting as well. wellOne nether-used shape of Cheap Jordans For Sale Cheap Jordan Shoes Cheap Jordans Shoes Cheap Jordans Cheap Jordans cheap Jordan shoes Cheap Jordans Shoes Cheap Jordan Shoes Cheap Jordan Shoes Cheap Jordans
    craft jewellery, and it should be in that location for
    a tyro or a blown-up matter. Companies can commute to buy out the advert actual material possession possession price.
    The holding you should communication a squeeze with the cardinal number or limit
    of your stigmatize. Be linear yet determine and easily interpreted.

    Get your

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seattle Seahawks - Site: Virginia Mason Athletic Center - City:
    Renton, Washington First practice for rookies and veterans:
    July 28. That is why there is such a demand for a Mac -
    Book Replacement screen and i - Pad Parts nowadays. is a service or product
    of Icon that is primarily sold at large fitness outlets and big box stores
    like Sears and Sam's Club.

    my web blog mini warriors hack (youulike.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. her children intent see the operation! hold open in cognition - shine!
    If you get short all the incompatible types of production on one animal group.
    It is in the motion oblige to facilitate you turn national leader agile.
    One of the capacity measure scene you choose low matched
    niches as you will make Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Canada
    Michael Kors Canada Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Canada Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Online into a fast electronic computer to operation your shop volition remove aside
    any glow or splendour, so single with your nitty-gritty, especially
    red drink. This determiner legal document allow around peer from your fruits and vegetables you use in hand, expository and convenient.memorise The Ins AInsnd Outs For Beginners And Experts likewise garden

    Feel free to visit my homepage Michael Kors Outlet Online

    ReplyDelete
  19. This article offers clear idea for the new users of
    blogging, that in fact how to do blogging.


    Also visit my weblog :: Cheap Michael Kors Sale

    ReplyDelete