Read more: guinea fowl,how to cook,venison,wild bird stew,red wine sauce,fried bream,grilled bream,okavango bream,okavango,botswana,botswana cooking,african cooking,african food,african cuisine,african dishes,pork ribs,how to cook pork,how to cook ribs,how to cook pork ribs,how to cook guinea fowl,how to cook perfect,perfect,tender,spatchcock,spatched,braaied,braai,barbeque,barbecu,barbecued,barbequed,prawns,peri peri prawns,peri peri chicken,mozambique food,mozambique cuisine,air gun hunting,air rifle hunting,gutting Namibian/German Apple Strudel | African Style Cuisine

Friday, 9 March 2012

Namibian/German Apple Strudel

I apologize at the outset to German chefs. This is NOT the way it is traditionally cooked. Your traditional way is superb. The way I have outlined is how it has been adapted by South Africans who have visited Namibia and experienced some of the amazing confectionery found in the old German towns such as Swakopmund, Walvis Bay and Windhoek. 
Lets start off by putting two rolls of ready made, frozen puff pastry in the fridge to defrost overnight. Of course if you have the skills then make it yourself. I do when I have time, but it can be a rather laborious process if you are going to do it well.

Now start with the apples. 10 medium any variety. I often use the one and half kg econo pack apples found everywhere in Southern Africa which originate in the Cape. Home of the best apples in the world!

peel them, then slice off chunks until you reach the core. Discard this part or add it and the peels to the cider barrel.
Now for the bit which makes this special....
collect together:

I cup of white sugar.
half cup of seedless black raisins
half a cup of pecan nuts roughly chopped. (This ingredient is not essential but is incredibly good)
4 or 5 cloves or a level teaspoon of ground cloves.
half cup of brandy to flambe the apple when it is cooked. (Also can be omitted)
Method:
Fry the apple in batches pure butter ensuring the apple browns slightly. At the same time add the sugar, pecan nuts and raisins and cloves in batches. They need to soften slightly.

Put all the cooked ingredients into one large pan on high heat and pour the brandy in and light it. (Mind your eyebrows ha ha!) Tilt the pan to keep it burning  until the fire eventually goes out.

A big secret is the apples must not be mushy at this stage of cooking. So when you brown them in butter do it briefly on high heat and remove them as soon as possible and put them onto a cold plate to stop the cooking. If you end up with too much runny sauce, drain it from the apples and VERY VERY carefully reduce it either in a pan watching it like a hawk or in a large tray in the oven on low. Return the thickened sauce to the apples.

Now unroll a sheet of pastry and lay it in a baking tray or circular pie dish. DO NOT try and roll it bigger to fit. Rather cut off excess and gently lat them down to fill spaces. If you touch the pastry too much it will not puff up as much. Now bake that bottom sheet until light brown. Medium oven in the middle. No blind filler in the pastry. Just as it is. Don't worry that it puffs right up.
Now gently spoon the apple mixture evenly over the pastry. Lay another roll of pastry over it . Again trim and fill spaces if using a round dish. I prefer a baking tray as in the illustration above.
Bake on medium in the middle of the oven again until nicely browned.
Try and serve as soon after baking as possible, although it does keep very well for a couple of hours.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.


27 comments:

  1. I've been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i am glad to show that I have an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I so much unquestionably will make sure to don?t forget this site and give it a look regularly.

    Feel free to surf to my web site: bmi index chart

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible article.

    Review my web site :: procollagenserum.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I simply just say what a relief to discover someone
    who truly knows what they are talking about online.
    You definitely understand how to bring an issue to light
    and make it important. More and more people should look at this and understand this side of your story.
    I was surprised that you are not more popular since you certainly possess the gift.


    my web site - Vimax Male Enhancement

    ReplyDelete
  4. This web site certainly has all the information
    and facts I needed concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.

    my site :: Buy Nitric Power

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    Stop by my web-site Raspberry Ketone Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Its really remarkable piece of writing, I have got much clear idea regarding from this piece of writing.


    Here is my page :: Liposom facts

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's up it's me, I am also visiting this web page daily,
    this website is truly nice and the visitors are in fact sharing good thoughts.


    Here is my site ... Asphalt Overlay Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today, I went to the beach front with my kids.

    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old
    daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put the shell to her
    ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside
    and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally
    off topic but I had to tell someone!

    My web blog - sweetdaysofgirlie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having read this I believed it was extremely informative.
    I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put
    this article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and
    leaving comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!


    Feel free to surf to my weblog; vakantiehuizen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do believe all of the ideas you have introduced in your post.
    They're really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for novices. May just you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

    My site ... bladder control treatment

    ReplyDelete
  11. I take pleasure in, lead to I found just what I was looking
    for. You've ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

    Stop by my homepage fiber content

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marvelous, what a weblog it is! This weblog presents valuable data to us, keep it up.





    https://academics.skidmore.edu/wikis/li_100_google/index.
    php/User:EduardoAb

    My homepage Male Enhancement Reviews ()

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's going to be finish of mine day, but before ending I am reading this wonderful piece of writing to improve my experience.

    Also visit my web-site luxe vakantiehuisje frankrijk huren

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my website thus i
    came to return the desire?.I'm trying to find issues to improve my web site!I guess its adequate to use a few of your concepts!!

    my website Enduros Male Enhancement Review

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more
    pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.
    Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Excellent work!

    My web blog; Muscle building

    ReplyDelete
  16. Magnificent items from you, man. I have be mindful your stuff previous to and you're simply extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have received here, really like what you are saying and the way by which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to stay it smart. I can't wait to
    read far more from you. That is actually a terrific
    web site.


    https://mechs.rip-game.ru/wiki/%D0%A3%D1%87%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA:ZoilaAngl

    Feel free to visit my web page - Enduros Male Enhancement Free Trial

    ReplyDelete
  17. Appreciation to my father who informed me about this blog,
    this blog is in fact awesome.

    My webpage; raspberry ketone burn

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any
    interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough
    for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will
    be much more useful than ever before.

    Have a look at my site raspberry ketone reviews

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good
    results. If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!


    my blog post; idol lip

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, this weekend is good designed for me, as this time i am
    reading this wonderful informative article here at my house.


    my website ... vakantiehuisje huren

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's really an informative and well described post. I appreciate your topic for blogging. Thanks for sharing such a useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello there, I discovered your site by the use of Google whilst searching
    for a related matter, your website came up, it appears great.
    I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, simply turned into alert to your blog thru Google, and located that it is truly informative.
    I am going to be careful for brussels. I will appreciate in the event you continue this in future.

    A lot of other folks might be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    My website ... Christian Louboutin Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fake shoes have flat tongues with a square shape Several artificial Nike footwear is not going to are available while using original shoe boxSneaker Alley leads the way when it comes to offering customers the superior quality Nike air force 1s and other well-known brand names in top quality sneakersjpgIn air jordans 13 2007, re-select the six star endorsement AirForce1Soccer is a wonderful game-Story behind Nike as famous sportswear company is named after an ancient Greek goddess of victory, and her sisters were the goddesses of force and strength and her brother was the god of rivalry To exactly get the idea of the play you can watch some of the great performances of international teams Word has the Nike Dunk SB "Horror Pack" Freddy Krueger shoes are being released in NovemberNike, Adidas are both famous sports shoes brand, usually, people tend to compare them to each other and got a finally conclusion

    ReplyDelete