Read more: guinea fowl,how to cook,venison,wild bird stew,red wine sauce,fried bream,grilled bream,okavango bream,okavango,botswana,botswana cooking,african cooking,african food,african cuisine,african dishes,pork ribs,how to cook pork,how to cook ribs,how to cook pork ribs,how to cook guinea fowl,how to cook perfect,perfect,tender,spatchcock,spatched,braaied,braai,barbeque,barbecu,barbecued,barbequed,prawns,peri peri prawns,peri peri chicken,mozambique food,mozambique cuisine,air gun hunting,air rifle hunting,gutting School Lunch Healthy Chicken and Chips with Peas | African Style Cuisine

Thursday, 5 July 2012

School Lunch Healthy Chicken and Chips with Peas


Chicken Chips and Peas is a very old favorite of mine. It was born by my English Grandma who used to give us this meal for lunch once a week after school!

I modified this recipe a bit to conform to my new health regime and yet I have to say it was still very similar to Grandmas lunch.
 Ingredients:
Serves two hungry schoolboys.
two large leg and thighs.
Cup of fresh or frozen green baby peas
About three medium potatoes peeled, chipped and parboiled till almost soft. (Yes par-boiled!)
minced or chopped garlic.
fresh ground black pepper.
Mild extra virgin olive oil. (Here's the healthy bit..no deep frying!!) Olive oil is actually GOOD for you.
Method
If using frozen chicken, first of all defrost thoroughly your chicken leg and thighs. It is best to do this overnight in the fridge.
Start the meal by getting the meat going.
Dash a little of the olive oil into a large pan which has a lid. Season with the ground pepper and rub the minced or chopped garlic over the meat. Start turning the heat up until the meat is just sizzling. It will probably be at about 25% of your dial. This is grandmas secret method. Very slow frying. Expect this to take an hour. 30 min on each side. Don't turn more than necessary. A certain amount of liquid will form, but leave the lid off long enough for it to steam off then resume with the lid on. This combination of frying/simmering in liquid is the key to truculently tender meat after about an hour.
Whilst this is going on, lay your parboiled chips out in an oven dish and drizzle a little olive oil over them. Shake and coat as best you can. Put into the oven at 200C (390F) Once its sizzling gently toss again and turn individual chips carefully to coat with the olive oil. Let them brown lightly, tossing as required.
AT THE SAME TIME!!! O' harassed cook, put your peas into a small saucepan with a lid and a teaspoon of REAL butter. Yup. our one exception to strictly healthy food. Baby peas without butter are just not worth eating in my opin! Again gentle heat until the butter melts and the peas steam cook for about 10 minutes.

Serve with ice cold coke in the bottle with a straw!

11 comments:

  1. Mmm... this looks really inviting. A nice tasty dish. Impossible to refuse it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for always checking in! We eat it nearly every week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the food I used to eat when I was a child, and those chips look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This piece of writing will help the internet visitors for building up
    new webpage or even a blog from start to end.

    Also visit my webpage; Vimax Male Enhancement Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are in point of fact a just right webmaster. The site loading speed is incredible.
    It kind of feels that you're doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you've performed a wonderful process in this matter!


    My web-site Swiaa rose facts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I'm
    trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue.
    If you have any recommendations, please share. With thanks!


    my blog - Green tone pro review\ Green tone pro reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It's the little changes which will make the largest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

    Stop by my web blog Asphalt Driveway Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asking questions are in fact pleasant thing if you are
    not understanding anything fully, however this piece
    of writing presents nice understanding yet.

    Also visit my web site; Click N Loan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment
    form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    Also visit my web-site ... Liposom

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I've read this
    post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or tips.
    Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read more things about it!



    http://eoghanmurray.co.uk/lci/index.php?title=Or_Even_Testosterone_Injections_Side_Effects

    My web site ... Best Male Enhancement

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or
    guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based
    on the same subjects you discuss and would love to have
    you share some stories/information. I know my
    visitors would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.



    http://info-make-money-online.blogspot.com/2012/11/play-games-make-money-online.
    html

    Feel free to visit my web page: Enduros Male Enhancement Free Trial

    ReplyDelete